Ready to Lose Your Glasses? Ten pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never prior to have so numerous clinical developments and new techniques emerged in such a brief period of time. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides countless people the chance to lower or remove their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the quick and painless method to remedy vision, but stories are likewise appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Before you opt to go under the beam, what can you do to help make sure that you will enjoy with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an informed patient. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting referrals from other medical professionals or from clients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be fooled by fancy ads about a specific laser. Pick the doctor, not the laser.
3. Pick a medical professional who has actually done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a doctor does not know can injure you.
4. Ask for details on your physician's LASIK eye surgery issue rates. If your physician will not tell you, discover another one. For leading cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask exactly what measures are taken to avoid infection. Insist that your eye is completely decontaminated, and insist that the surgical Bonuses instruments be decontaminated before your eye laser surgical treatment to get rid of the risk of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Beware of ads pushing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount surgical treatment is as great as a discount rate parachute. The possible savings are unworthy the risk of getting less than expert care!
Expect to see very well after LASIK, however do not anticipate to see completely. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as individual as each client. Beware of any physician who guarantees 20/20 vision.
8. If you seem like you're getting a tough sell, you most likely are. Go in other places. You're not purchasing a car; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably provide better vision than LASIK. Ask your doctor about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, don't forget the benefits: for the majority of people, a lifetime of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually enhanced the vision of countless people worldwide.